Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Beardfish

This week prog fans, I was shocked to discover a band I overlooked in my youth...until I realized Beardfish was not formed until 2001...holy cosmic throwback!  I just looked out into the driveway to see if my 1973 Chevy Chevelle was parked there--because I have definitely traveled back a few decades.  Beardfish is all at once a great new sound and a fantastic stroll through progressive music past.

I start out my prog "feast for the ears" with a song entitled, "Akakabotu" from the band's 2011 release "Mammoth."  I immediately detect hints of Yes, Genesis, and vintage Frank Zappa from his jazz fusion days...talk about mentors!  If this is some of the talent Beardfish draws inspiration from, I believe I am making quite a few trips to the buffet tonight.  The keyboards and the horns on this track are absolutely amazing; all I need is a black light and an old sofa to sit up on the back of and my day is complete.

Moving to another track from the Mammoth album, I find "And the Stone Said: If I Could Speak."  Just the title alone is reason to check this tune out...and I am not disappointed.  The opening again takes me back to the classic prog days; I get a strong taste of Atomic Rooster with a hint of Deep Purple thrown in.  Beardfish is a band that can truly play.  Few bands can lay down a sound this smooth while drawing from so many influences.  After listening to the first two songs here I can no longer say "They don't make music like they used to."  They most certainly do--and I will happily keep looking for more.

OK; now the section I have decided to call "Liner Notes."  Beardfish formed in 2001, went through a few personnel and line-up changes, and the band currently consists of these very talented musicians...Rikard Sjoblom on vocals, guitars, and keyboards, David Zackrisson on guitars, Magnus Ostgren on drums, and Robert Hansen on bass.  The evolving membership occurred mainly in 2002 and 2003, and with the exception of Robert on bass, each current member of Beardfish was there in the beginning.  The band's website states they are fans of King Crimson and Gentle Giant; their homage to these two icons of the progressive world definitely comes through.

For my next helping, I chose the title cut from the 2006 album "The Sane Day."  The song opens somewhat jazzy/bluesy;  I am reminded of a smoky nightclub after hours when the musicians play what they want rather than what the crowd came to hear.  The keyboards here work slowly into your mind until you are mesmerized, almost forgetting the bass is pulling your frontal lobe towards the center of the musical universe. Beardfish plays songs you want on your iPod when taking a cross country bus ride at night--a great time to focus on nothing but beautiful music...

OK, now to find a great finish to what has become a fantastic prog meal.  For dessert I cheat just a little and take a double helping; "Sleeping In Traffic" and "Sunrise Again" from the 2009 release, "Sleeping In Traffic Part Two."  The music is as refreshing as the first strawberries of spring, and the vocals are just as smooth.

Beardfish is a band that does the prog genre proud--they play great music the way it was intended to be played and enjoy every minute of it.  It is as if four people share one  mind when it comes to music; each knowing what the others are trying to do and adding the necessary accompaniments.  It would be a wonderful thing if more airplay was given to bands like Beardfish...

The cut below is called "In Real Life There Is No Algebra."  Having a daughter currently studying algebra in high school, I couldn't resist--and the fact that the song is amazing didn't hurt.  Beardfish is an incredible band that does two things better than most; play music and come up with cool song titles...although Frank Zappa might argue the second point.  Either way there is no reason to get upset...just cue up the album and play on...



If you like Beardfish check out their website www.beardfishband.com, take a nice long listen, and enjoy...if you are unfamiliar, take two days off from work (or school) and set up camp in the YouTube library, 'cuz you got some catching up to do!  Just don't forget to come back here next week and check out another brave new entry in the wonderful world of prog.  So many great bands, so little time...



















No comments:

Post a Comment