Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Moongarden

Good evening progheads and welcome back...but most importantly, thanks for stopping by.  I appreciate you taking the time to trek into my closet to check out something new, not so well known (perhaps),  and different in the world of progressive music.  I hope you believe like I do that the world does indeed need more prog...

This week I decided to go in a different direction and search for something I truly had no connection with...to try and find something that made me feel like I did when I first heard Gentle Giant, Porcupine Tree, and King Crimson.  Thus I find myself this week drawn to a band called Moongarden.  Just the name produces imagery in my mind reminiscent of a Yes album cover or perhaps something Peter Gabriel-like, circa 1969...

With no pre-conceived ideas about what to expect, or some well intentioned friend telling me what or who  Moongarden sounds like, I dive in ears first checking out a tune called, "Who's Wrong?"  Immediately I feel like I am in some kind of time warp...the song opens like an old Harry Nilsson tune and slowly morphs into something born of a Genesis-Marillion mutation--sans theatrics.  The keyboards and percussion Moongarden use on this song are fairly impressive, wrapped around dark lyrics painting a vivid picture of the sadness, confusion, and uncertainty life can be.  Suffice to say I am very intrigued...

The second selection for review is "Solaris Suite." A definite "coming of age" piece after "Who's Wrong?"  The guitar is much more "refined and mature" (if that makes sense) and the percussion has picked up a notch as well.  Vocals are strong and there seems to be much more cohesiveness between the members of the band.  Moongarden has made great strides in defining their sound here...I feel a more solid connection to my progressive roots; Genesis and perhaps a hint of Pink Floyd seem to purposefully flow through the undercurrent of the song.  Moongarden has found a way to channel classic progressive artists without being  a cover band...quite impressive.  "Solaris Suite" is a very strong piece of music and a great introduction to modern prog for the old fashioned listener.

Liner Notes...Moongarden is a progressive band whose beginnings are traced to 1993 Italy; always nice to hear new sounds coming from different parts of the world.  A demo put together by Cristiano Roversi and David Cremoni received positive feedback and led to Moongarden's first full length album, "Brainstorm of Emptyness," released in 1996.  Early challenges, difficulties, and personal issues kept the band from going further at the time.  However; a few line-up changes, tireless dedication to their craft, strong song writing, and serious effort evolved into the Moongarden I am appreciating today.  Simone Baldini Tosi on vocals, Cristiano Roversi on keyboards and Chapman Stick, David Cremoni on guitar, Mirko Tagliasacchi on bass, and Maurizio Di Tollo on drums are a five-piece progressive lesson in determination.  Moongarden is a band that worked hard to make their mark and continues to stay strong so as not to lose ground.  Moongarden is a band worth listening to for no other reason than they are good.  The fact that the band started out somewhat unpromising yet were able to beat the odds makes their sound and success that much sweeter to savor and appreciate.

Looking for a third serving to help whet my already strong appetite I find, "A Vulgar Display Of Prog."  The title has "intense curiosity" written all over it and I am immediately rewarded for following my instincts.  This song takes me to so many different places in the prog world that I just want to lie back and savor it...vulgar indeed.  Moongarden plays this song as if their progressive lives were at stake--and the Vegas odds-makers suddenly see a rush of people racing to collect their winnings.  The fullness of the sound is complemented by the strength of the vocals--Moongarden can prog with the best of them.  "A Vulgar Display Of Prog" is seven minutes of your life you won't wish you could have back--you might even be willing to use them up repeatedly.

I listened to several cuts of Moongarden music before finally deciding on the cut below for a post to accompany this blog.  "The Gates Of Omega Part I" weaves so many layers of prog into a fine blanket that I just want to wrap myself in and enjoy for a while.  The opening makes you feel as though the ground below is slowly eroding yet the fall is comforting...and then you are awash in an sea of emotion that runs deep, dark, and at the same time soothing.  Moongarden is all the things I like about progressive music and hope to keep finding in the new bands I see dotting the prog horizon.


Well progheads, another seven days have fallen off the calendar...or perhaps they were windswept...either way each week seems to disappear faster than its predecessor.  So take the time to relax and enjoy the sounds of Moongarden.  You can find out more about Moongarden at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MOONGARDEN.  So until next week...keep the faith alive, the lights down low, and the music set to prog...















No comments:

Post a Comment